Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Another day...another drawer...

Tuesday was productive - lots of junk thrown out, and good stuff was donated. Worked on another drawer. Guess what? You do not need special and expensive organizers to contain pens and pencils or other little items. I found that the cherry turnover clam shell box could be cut in half and used in very shallow drawers for pens and pencils!

Today is the day I take down the Christmas decorations from outside around the front door. Yes, it is almost Valentine's Day and the garland around the front door is still up! It has been SOOOooooo cold here in the Chicago suburbs all January, really prohibiting activity outside. BRrrrrr.........

But I WILL get this down, I have started Easter decorations, and I WILL clean the refrigerator. AND I will take pictures to post later!

The short term goals are coming together, but there are 2 long term goals: Clean out the storeroom in the basement, and clean out the garage so the floor & walls can be painted.

If these long-term goals can be achieved by June 1, I will be ecstatic. The real issue is to not allow myself to be distracted too much in the meantime.

Gee, I would really like to go to Florida. Yeah.

4 comments:

  1. You are VERY ambitious. I think the basement "equipment room" gets cleaned once a decade. Note I say "cleaned," not "clean." Cleaning is always easier with the sun pouring in, and the sun just can't pour into a basement. Maybe I need a system of mirrors like the Egyptians used to illuminate the insides of pyramids... But here are my June 1 goals--the basement euipment room and the closet with all the little bits of electronics and wires and jacks and cables, etc

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have yet to take down our Christmas tree! We're putting new shelves in the office, so all of my books are in boxes surrounding the tree, which has provided an excellent on-going excuse not to strip off the ornaments and take the tree out of the house. It is now, officially, a fire hazard.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I started reading "The Happiness Project" (quit reading it because the author has 2 small children who hardly merit a mention) but did start my own happiness project as a result. January I concentrated on parenting and February is my month for organization. So your blog is very timely for me. During the first 4 days of February I have succeeded in covering my office floor with paperwork. Now I can no longer open the door or walk to my chair. Which is why, for the past 2 days, I have not. Our Christmas wreaths are still hanging. Brown is the new green.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You guys with Christmas decorations are not alone. Perhaps it has been the weather that has contributed - it hardly seems that P. Phil the Groundhog could possibly have appeared yet, or that Fat Tuesday has past, or that St. Patty's Day is on the way. I have noticed many homes in the area with wreaths on doors, garlands around windows and I was at someone's home in the past few days that still had a small (maybe 2 feet tall) Christmas tree still up, with lights lit! If you get those wreaths out for the G-Man over the weekend, count that as a VICTORY! As to the paperwork, A few weeks ago, I bought new bankers boxes and put the 2009 files away, clearing out my filing cabinets for another year of saving tax info, medical bills, insurance docs, etc. But I don't have to fight to get the pieces of paper into the drawers. They are miraculously spacious...Good luck all, and thanks for following! Sorry I missed 2 weeks! I promise to do better! :-)

    ReplyDelete